Facts about the magical Rohit Sharma innings
Rohit Sharma’s magical and historic innings of 264 runs off just 173 balls created history last night. He became the highest scorer in One Day Internationals beating the previous best of 219 off 149 balls by V. Sehwag and the first batsman to score double century twice in ODIs. He was toying with the SriLankan bowling attack and smashed them all around the park to post a mammoth total of 404 for them to chase. This innings brought in some interesting facts which are stated below:
- Both of Rohit Sharma’s double tons have come in the month of November. On 2 November 2013 against Australia at Bangalore he scored 209, his first double hundred and now on November 13, he smashed his second.
- During Rohit Sharma’s both the double hundreds Virat Kohli was dismissed in similar fashion, which is run-out.
- Rohit Sharma hit 33 fours in his innings of 264, the most in a single innings whereas during his first double hundred, he had smashed 16 sixes, the most in a single innings.
- 186 runs out of 264 came in boundaries for Rohit Sharma, hitting 33 fours and nine sixes.
- Something for Viru fans. Virender Sehwag (140 balls) still holds the record for fastest double-hundred in ODIs while Rohit Sharma (151 balls), now has the third fastest double ton against his name, with Sachin Tendulkar at second (147 balls).
- It took Rohit Sharma only 15 balls to race from 200 to 250.
- When Rohit Sharma crossed 200-run mark at Bangalore last year, team’s wicketkeeper (MS Dhoni) was batting with him and now again wicketkeeper (Robin Uthappa) was at the other end when he hit the 200th run.
- Rohit Sharma and Robin Uthappa shared 128-run stand for the fifth wicket, out of which Rohit’s bat yielded 109 runs, while Uthappa contributed 16 runs and three runs came in form of extras.
- On both the occasions when Rohit scored his double tons Sundaram Ravi was one of the umpires and Anil Chaudhary was the TV umpire.
- When Sachin Tendulkar scored 200 runs India went on to win match by 153 runs, Sehwag’s 219 also handed India a 153-run win and now Rohit Sharma’s record breaking 264 also gave India a 153-run win.
Source : india.com